Sites of the Reformation

in Rodachtal

Sites of the Reformation in Rodachtal

Open: Sundays, from 10.00 until 18.00, otherwise through:
Heldburg/Ummerstadt Parish Office: Tel. + 49 (0) 3 68 71-2 13 26

Bad Colberg-Heldburg
Parish church “Zu unserer lieben Frauen”

The construction, which began in 1502 during Catholic times, was completed around 1536/37 as a Protestant church with pulpit and font. Friedrich Schwalb, who studied in Wittenberg around 1515, was appointed evangelical pastor here in 1528.

A significant advocate of the teachings of Luther, Johann Gerhard was Superintendent in Heldburg from 1606 to 1614, and later General Superintendent in Coburg, and, finally, professor of theology in Jena.

As the author of the “Casimirianium Church Order”, he had a major influence on religious life in his time.

Guided tours

Old town with church “Zu unserer lieben Frauen” and house of Johann Gerhardt

Info: Tel. + 49 (0) 3 68 71/2 01 59
www.bad-colberg-heldburg.de

Open: daily 10.00-18.00

Bad Rodach · St. Johannis

The Protestant estates of the Empire met in the presbytery on 7 and 8 June 1529, in order to ensure mutual support in disputes with the Catholic empire after the Diet in Speyer.
The “Rodach Valediction” is considered to be an important basis for the “Schmalkaldic League” of 1531.

Guided tours

“Tag zu Rodach 1529”, Walk through the old town or nightwatchman tour

Info: Tel. + 49 (0) 95 64/1 94 33 oder 1550
www.bad-rodach.de

Open: April-Oct 9.30-17.00, Nov-March Tues-Sun 13.00-16.00

Veste Coburg

Martin Luther lived here under the protection of the Saxon Electoral castle for five and a half months, in 1530.

He played a part in the events of the Diet of Augsburg, authored significant programmatic works and translated parts of the Old Testament. The Veste, with Luther’s rooms, is still an authentic place in memory of Luther. The art collections include portraits of Luther by Lucas Cranach the Elder and the famous “Hedwig glass” that was once in the possession of the Reformer.

Guided tours

Themed guided tours (also in costume), Luther’s room, building history and many more

Info: Tel. + 49 (0) 95 61/8 79-0
www.kunstsammlungen-coburg.de

Open: Mon, Weds-Fri 9.00-12.00

Coburg St. Moriz

Coburg’s oldest parish church goes back to a previous Romanesque building. During his stay in April 1530, Martin Luther delivered sermons here seven times, before the elector, his entourage and the citizens of Coburg. The large, alabaster epitaph for Duke Johann Frederick II is a particularly impressive work of art characterised by Lutheran thinking.

Duke Johann Casimir had it carved from 1595-98 by Thuringian sculptor Nikolaus Bergner.

Open: April-Oct Tues-Sun 11.00-17.00, Nov-March Tues-Sun 13.00-16.00

Callenberg Castle · Castle Church

This was where Knight Hans von Sternberg lived, a close friend of Martin Luther. As a supporter of the Reformation, he was responsible for monitoring the realisation of Reformational beliefs in Coburg. Under Duke Johann Casimir of Saxony-Coburg, the castle church was the first church in the region to be built according to Protestant standards, such as pulpit altar, font and surrounding gallery, from 1610-18.

Open: May-Oct Mon-Sat 10.00-12.00 & 14.00-16.00

Eisfeld · Dreifaltigkeitskirche (Church of the Holy Trinity) and the ruined Gottesackerkirche St. Salvator

An epitaph at the entrance to the ruins at St. Salvator recalls the life and works of Justus Jonas, a close companion of Martin Luther. He had his last appointment as pastor and superintendent in Eisfeld, in 1553. The lawyer, humanist, hymn writer and Reformer died here on 9 October 1555. He translated into German many Latin writings by Martin Luther and Philipp Melanchthon.

Open: daily until sunset

Neustadt b. Coburg · Pfarrkirche St. Georg (parish church)

Before Martin Luther stayed in Coburg on the way to the Augsburg Diet, he delivered a sermon on Good Friday, in 1530, in the Neustadt parish church of St. Georg.

The elector, Reformers Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchthon, Georg Spalatin, Justus Jonas and Johannes Agricola were accompanied by 70 noblemen and 120 mounted servants. Luther also stopped here on the return journey in October.

Open: Nov-March Tues-Sun 10.00-16.00, April-Oct Tues-Sun 10.00-17.00

Open on public holidays in Thuringia, apart from 24/12 and 31/12.

Veste Heldburg (fortress of Heldburg) and Deutsches Burgenmuseum (German Castle Museum)

Duke Johann Frederick II had the “French” building constructed by his court architect, Nicolaus Gromann, in renaissance style, from 1561 to 1564.

The two magnificent bay windows, two chimneys and the portals in the ducal residential castle were given rich, sculpted stone features.

Other historical tours in Rodachtal

Guided tours in Seßlach

Guided tours of the town, by day and night (also in medieval costume) with taster in the local brewery

Info: Tel. + 49 (0) 95 69/92 25 40
www.sesslach.de

© Copyright - Initiative Rodachtal e.V.